2 characters with the same name? Sort of

Ooh, this is a spicy one, so have you heard of the fake apple scam where a domain called аpple.com was created, no not apple.com, аpple.com… yeah

So in this screenshot I applied the same trick by using a cryllic letter а as opposed to an a.

So… Why does this matter? Well… Imitations. For example: a player named… Player ashley, (great name I know) well, another person could create another 3 accounts that look identical.

plаyer ashley, player аshley and plаyer аshley.
(These are different…)

This isn’t great for player ashley as anybody could imitate them… Now I tried it with different zero-width characters and (thankfully) they didn’t work. Maybe it could be injected and used via js but mobile ain’t no good for that.

But yeah, overall this poses a small threat for getting people bad names and such.

Please take care fluffs ^w^

As an add-on for the mods, look out that nobody is immiatating you either. That could be pretty bad. For example someone make a fake accipiter wolf (which btw @Accipiter you may want to claim for yourself to stop this from happening with normal letters >w<) then they could probably do things like get passwords e.t.c.

It’s a bit far-fetched but you never know.

You can’t fake the blue badges, though.

3 Likes

Yes, that is true. You could still fake other character though, any character with the letter a like @WakuWaku.

Yes, trying to pretend being someone else is pretty easy.

The allowed characters are for a character name are:

• All unicode letters (category L) except Hangul Fillers
  • All unicode numbers (category N)
  • Characters - and '
  • Unicode White Space characters are converted into space and collapsed into a single space.

All other characters are stripped.

Now, that opens up for both Zalgo and other mischief.
And since I want to have a broader localization support, allowing for future realms aimed towards other languages, we will have to live with that.

However, the No identity theft rule applies. So, I think the solution is rather to make it easy for a moderator to determine who is the imposter, and…

2 Likes

On this note I have seen many create copy characters to be in more than one place at a time. Wonder what the position on that is. Identity theft best handled by mods but…

If you wanna play ditto waku hmu. This may be a fantasy

1 Like

I find that weird and slightly ridiculous, personally.

1 Like