User Feedback: 'collapse' and 'close' on panes

Seems intuitive to me.

I’m continuing to think on this, and I have some ideas for clarifying the overall UI metaphor here.

I realize what I’m thinking about is maybe a larger UI change, though - what’s the best way to propose something like that? I could pull together some lightweight mocks to help explain, but it’s getting beyond the space of “small fix for an issue” and into “proposing a bit of a UI design framework,” and I don’t want to completely derail this thread.

Let me say one thing before I forget: Mirr was thinking about a ‘stacked’ metaphor to let you know you’re on a non-default page.

I am also looking at that “stacked” metaphor, but I think that’s enough of a change that I’m mocking together the overall flow that stack would be a part of, to make sure we’re not just introducing a problem somewhere else.

1 Like

L-larger UI changes …? :sweat_smile:

If we can limit it to the general behavior of the panel component, that handles the page with its Title, close button, collapse button, page stacking, etc., it is more within a reasonable scope. If we might consider scrapping panels and replace it with a different UI setup, it might be too big an effort with the time I have at hand.

But I am always open for suggestions! :smiley:

The “stacked” metaphor is how I’m conceptualizing it now, actually, even though it’s not really decorated or animated that way. The X makes it feel like the panel is on a separate layer above the default layer, and it goes away to reveal the default layer when I click the X. I’m having zero problems with that aspect of it, but I’m admittedly weird. The disclosure triangle makes sense to me, but I remember initially expecting it to fold just the top layer with the editing/extra details/etc and reveal the layer below, and it folded the whole thing instead. It was easy to get used to, but an initial point of confusion for me.