So And So Is Typing...?

Thats why I suggested that it would only trigger to the one ‚witnessing‘ that they see you actively whispering when w player = true.
It wouldn’t trigger with w player2 = true.

Hi, been a while, if this feature was implemented I think it should absolutely be implemented as an opt in command like focus so that you can only see when the focused player is typing either a say, pose or a ooc. It should not pick up a mail, message, whisper so that it will keep people’s privacy.

So just to recap:

• it should only been seen on a player you are focusing and who has accepted the focus
  • you should not be able to see the typing of any whisper, mail or message (anything not directed to a whole room)
  • you should only be able to see when people are typing with a say, pose or ooc.

I am a slow typer, and can see a feature like that being helpful, but at the same time i can see it being incredibly difficult to implement.

3 Likes

Glad I found this thread before I foolishly made my own.

As a new player to Wolfery and coming from a lot of other communities with typing indicators, it is a bit of a rough transition and occasionally I’m finding myself unsure if people are aware of a post order, or who’s next, but generally over the last week I’ve seen that there is a ‘vibe’ of sorts and that people tend to hang out with others and for the most part, be open to include others.

Not Having a typing indicator isn’t the end of the world, it’s just taking some time for me to get used to it and if the general consensus so far is to not include it and it will cause traffic, then it might be best not to have it. Within a week, was able to meet a lot of cool people and get a feel for how they type and such, and it’s not so bad not having typing indicators.

That’s my opinion on the matter after forking the Git and wondering if people wanted this as a feature.

1 Like

Hi Ayshe! And thanks for the thoughts.

I still think this is something we may try out.
You can see the discussion above, and it is a bit opinionated. But it does have its uses. And I don’t worry much about traffic myself - that part is manageable. And it is good to know what might be hurdles for newcomers.

But, I think that if I would implement it, it would be:

1. Opt in - a Player Setting would allow you to turn off sharing “is typing” info
  2. Room scoped - You must be in the same room to see if someone is typing
  3. Public commands - It would only signal you as typing if you are making a public say, ooc, pose, describe, or address command. Possibly roll as well. Not for whisper, message, etc.
  4. In room indicator - A discrete indicator would be added to the In Room list.

Git? Oh, you are a coder? Neat! :grin:
But the mucklet-client Git repository only contains the client. This feature would also need some server-side updates. But there are other client-only issues on GitHub that I would love help with too. Just saying :wink:

2 Likes