Feature Request - Messaging characters with similar names

Heyo, I’ve had the problem now a couple times where someone has messaged my character just by using my first name and that conflicting with someone else with the same first name. I’m wondering if we can improve the validation on “this is a user you can message/mention” to “this is a unique user you can message/mention” That way we’d be required to fill out second name if the first name isn’t unique and we could definitely see that we’ve mentioned the right user.

Additionally it would be amazingly helpful if when you were in a room with two characters with the same first name it would display bits of their surname in the main chat log until it becomes unique. For example let’s say Adam Apple is in a room with other characters. the chat log would show:

Adam says “Hi my name is Adam Apple!”

Later if Adam Banana comes in, two messages from the Adams would read like this:

Adam A. says “It’s still me, Mr Apple”
Adam B. says “Also I’m here, bananas are funny”

I’m thinking if you needed to distinguish between an Adam Apple and Adam Anteater then maybe you go with Adam Ap. and Adam An.

The second point was actually brought up here [Bug] Forced autocomplete commands aren't very user friendly as part of a bug report, but it’s nice to have it be formalized as a feature request too.

As someone with a rather unique name, I can’t say the first has happened to me too often… But I can understand the concern. Requiring a last name when multiple characters matching a given first name for a command would be useful. If there are two Adams in a room, require their last names for whispers, messages, etc. Just two online, but only one in the room, whisper doesn’t need it but message does. etc. etc.

It was brought up in third thread how autocomplete was adding in ‘Sierra’ before ‘Siera’, which is kind of backwards as one would expect it to go alphabetically, at least. But worse, if you didn’t know Sierra was on, you wouldn’t think to check the spelling.

Honestly I hadn’t used the tab feature much before, but from an experiment it seems to cycle through first names. If two characters have the same first name what does tab completion do? And which character receives the message if sent to “Adam” (as in example above)?

If you space after getting the first name you want (locking it in as your choice) it will start to autofill matching last names. So with the example typing

Ada tab

Will get you Adam then hitting space then tabbing through will cycle:

Adam Anteater
Adam Apple
Adam Banana

etc.

On experimentation tabbing is already the solution, works just like how you’d want it to e.g. there’s Aardvark One, Adam Apple, Adam Banana and Annie Two online. Type “A” then hit tab you get “Aardvark”, “Adam Apple”, “Adam Banana” and then “Annie”. Tab completion is already awesome :smile: It would still be good if the validation prevented you from messaging just “Adam” but yeah getting into better tab habits is good.

The only thing I haven’t seen then is my second ask: disambiguating names of people in rooms together. Last time I tested it I’m pretty sure only first names showed?