[Feature Request] Disambiguation of characters sharing first names

This doesn’t happen super often, but every now and again, we’ll end up with a situation where multiple characters who share the same first name will end up in the same place at the same time. While messages and whispers display a full name, public actions and OOC posts do not. This usually results in a situation as pictured where everyone is just entirely confused:

This is somewhat mitigated by the popup to show the full name of a character speaking in a message, but if it were possible to display a character’s full name when someone with the same first name is in the room, that would help immensely. Perhaps something like such:

1 Like

Hi @Silver, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, that is surely an issue, even if it is not too common. And it is not the first time it has been brought up:

I like that idea, but the implementation is surprisingly tricky. I think, in previous discussion, I landed on the idea of allowing Alias to be set per character. Do you think that could work…?

1 Like

Ack! My bad! Apologies for the duplicate thread there!

That could certainly work. My only concern is that it would require the users to take a manual step, which they might not know how to do, and may only think to do it after the issue has occurred. I see in that original thread, there is also the idea of having a checkbox to display full names on the client side. That’s also a good idea, but it does suffer from a similar issue of putting the onus on each user in the room to resolve the issue individually.

Alternatively, what about something like name colors for every user? That could be available to all users, all the time, and provide an easy way to differentiate between characters, even when there aren’t duplicate names in the room. Users would still need to check who’s who in instances when there are multiple characters with the same name in a room, but they would only need to check once, rather than for every message. (Also it’s so much easier to check on mobile now, thank you for that <3)

This could be customizable for each character by their owner, like what Twitch has for chat names. We could run into a situation where two people with the same first name set the same name color, but at that point, that just turns into user shenanigans rather than a systematic issue.

One slight issue with this is that it could present an accessibility issue for users with colorblindness or who may need higher contrast, so perhaps displaying these custom colors could be disabled on the client side.

1 Like

For now, I’d say you could just use the focus command to determine which one is your friend?

1 Like

As a different suggestion: Perhaps a toggle in the settings to show full names or short names. Changing it will adjust the display accordingly live (so you can see all previous messages). It’s not as ‘automatic’, but some people may like to leave it on all the time. Or only turn it on when they need to. This could also affect more than just the current chat, but also teleport, transit, and other messages as well (I think those recently started showing full names).

1 Like