[Feature] Area-Ban?

Just a tiny input from me regarding Area ban feature (not about ownership and responsibilities).

Actual Area ban (or rather area restriction) will be something we will eventually have.
I see it used for not just banning misbehaving characters, or characters not fit for the area. But I want it for exclusive areas as well - like guilds or VIP rooms or such things.

3 Likes

I think a ā€˜white-listing’ setting would be a good idea for private areas. Codes for rooms can always be guessed if they are ā€˜bad’ or possibly leaked by someone out of spite.

1 Like

Yes. So I will not allow any area restriction or script feature to allow access to player ID or similar info. It will only be possible to restrict characters. However, this may not be the case for admin owned scripts.

FYI: Moderators have peer reviewed insight into player alts. Meaning, other moderators will be notified of player alt checks to avoid it being abused for non-moderation purposes. Admins have full alt insight.

1 Like

Fortunately, everyone has a mute command of their own.

On Tapestries they use the term ā€œcharacter assassinationā€ for this, and it’s a strictly bannable offense: If you publicly call out that one character is an alt of another, even if it’s really obvious, you’re out of there.

1 Like

I’m a believer in free will.

Some areas need to be accessed to get to other areas. If it’s public, it’s public, and people need to have the right to travel, just like there are real-world common-carrier laws granting the right of freedom to travel.

I think that instead of bans, trespass notices would be better.

If an area owner does not wish people to visit without being invited, they can a place trespass tag on land which is part of a certain area/region. They can edit who is or isn’t allowed: All people, or just some, or select individuals.

If someone who trespasses ends up in an area they are not wanted, the Room and Area view displays a notification to the user. It gives them time to leave or just pass through.

If they do not leave in sufficient amount of time, it notifies the owner and the mods.

The trespasser can then explain themselves to the authorities about why they violated the Neutral Zone Treaty and entered Romulan Space. :stuck_out_tongue:

That would allow for more fair justice than just making someone blind, immobile, deaf and dumb.

With our fairly controlled building/linking system we would not allow areas to become inaccessable due to area bans. Public thoroughfares should really remain just that, Public.

2 Likes

A bit of necro on this thread but I can’t find the option in my room controls and searching for the topic returns this thread and a few other ones concerning blocking characters (which, in the end, is merely the ignore/mute command).

How do I block individuals from my personal areas, with or without a notification notice to them if they try to enter? Was this ever implemented?

I would also like to know if there is an option to mute/block someone that matriculates to all of their alts, whether I know them or not. Basically account level block/mute that does not require me to have all of their name(s). This is particularly important where the individual I desire to block has dozens of alts or recycles characters weekly.

Secondary function:
I have an area that is, for RP purposes, ā€˜secure’ (re: dungeon/jail/command post) so only ā€˜authorized’ characters are allowed to enter. This area has an exit link from an area owned by someone else, so I can’t edit it to be ā€˜invisible’ and, for RP reasons, they believe it should not be invisible (to diplomats, jail security, ect). Being able to allow or disallow individuals would go a long way toward maintaining the RP of the area rather than having to manually sweep them if they enter when I’m there.

2 Likes

Area bans have to be done through the moderation team insofar as I’m aware and require reason beyond mere dislike for the individual.

Account wide ignore/mutes are not implemented because people could utilize them across the game to figure out who everybody in the game is playing just by cycling mutes on people.

For the secondary function, it is possible for you or the other person to create an exit that doesn’t lead anywhere so that the exit still appears to players and then create a second hidden exit that leads where you need with a go password.

Or do it via room script? Pretty sure allowing or redirecting exits on character can be a thing. You can also use a passcode to enable the exit and then disable again with a timer (or swap open/closed in this case).

Oh yeah, the script timer is how I use some rooms in The Black Temple. I just assume the majority of folks don’t wanna fuss in the scripts. lol But yes, Green is right. Just don’t use scripts for area bans, cause those’ll probably get ya’ into trouble.

And make it double! (Because you have to duplicate the script on every entry point - and have a separate alarm if they manage to get summoned.)

I’m not sure of the rules on it, but you can script code that alerts a specific room/character if someone uses a summon/sweep/command in a certain location. I know this script can be expanded upon to kind of just record entire logs in a room and report to an entirely different room, so it’s a bit of a slippery slope.